Thursday, June 2, 2011

Has anyone put a 1986 Turbo Toyota pickup engine in a 1994 Toyota pickup? ?

I am taking on this project and think I have to change the radiator, wiring, computer, and maybe dash parts. I wondered how the turbo motor would match up with my 22re regular transmission also.Has anyone put a 1986 Turbo Toyota pickup engine in a 1994 Toyota pickup? ?The engine's bellhousing should mate right up to the tranny in your truck. Most of the wiring ought to switch over too, including the dash wires. I don't think you'll need to switch your old instrument cluster into the new truck.



As to the computer and radiator, yeah, bring them over. I think the Turbo had a radiator with a built-in cooler for the turbo oil or something like that; whatever the case, you want to bring it over with the engine.



I'd hate to try to get the new computer to understand what was up with the old engine. Could it learn the new engine, then handle what was happening when the turbo spooled up? I doubt the programming is that flexible.



Anyway, boss project dude. Good luck with it.Has anyone put a 1986 Turbo Toyota pickup engine in a 1994 Toyota pickup? ?I put a 1986 Toyota pickup in the bed of my 1977 Ford F-350 4X4. If that helps.