Monday, October 24, 2011

Chevy Suburban - how much should a 60,000 mile service cost?

I recently had my wife take our Surburban in for a 60,000 mile service. They did it and the bill was $790.00 ($228 for part; $450 for labor).



They changed fuel filter, PCV filter, transmission filter and changed the transmission fluid and did a radiator flush.



Did I get ripped off? How much should this have cost. What would have been reasonable? Seems awfully high to me considering nothing was wrong with the car.Chevy Suburban - how much should a 60,000 mile service cost?Walter I am a big Chevy fan.I recently bought me a new Chevy Pu. A 07. You have to watch out. I worked for a shop once. They look for every hing in the book to change and make money. Yes you got took. They saw an opportunity to make some money and they did. Yes it says to do all that.But in a matter of opinion,Wouldn't have done all that.They can give you a scare tactic and it works. They tell you what if stories. Unless you tow trailers allot and do heavy hauling I would not worry to much about doing all the Factory recommended services. That is where they get ya as you've seen.Chevy Suburban - how much should a 60,000 mile service cost?Personally that was highway robbery, it's sad that still this day and age shops see a women coming and take advantage .You know in my option that work shouldn't of cost more then 250 to 350 tops. Many service centres have min hidden set chargers , that say no car comes in for a service check like that without it being a 600.00 dollar bill at least.I know this from friends that worked for big auto service centres that demanded he find things wrong with cars or make stuff up just so the cost was at least 600. Plus they threatened to fire him just bec he didn't wish to rip people off, so he and my other friends quit.Chevy Suburban - how much should a 60,000 mile service cost?If you really want to know what specific services are recommended open your service manual in your glove compartment. Something stinks in river city as the coolant is supposed to be good for 150,000 miles. Exactly what $228.00 part did they replace? I'd certainly question that. As for the transmission and filter change look in your recommended services @ 60,000 miles. If the bill was going to be that high they should have explained everything to make you aware of what was coming.



I do know A Chevrolet dealer just tried to rip my daughter who has an 04 Tahoe. They told her that both differentials (four wheel drive) should be drained, flushed and fresh synthetic gear oil installed. As for the high dollar part you should have been notified immediately before they installed it. I'd want a full explanation or refuse to pay for it since you did not authorize the part to be installed.Chevy Suburban - how much should a 60,000 mile service cost?I think thats awful high, I have a house full and a business full of chevy's and I pay that much for part on my diesel but I take twice the material. I do the labor part myself or have an employee do it. Heres a little break down for you.

Fuel filter - tops $20.

PVC $10.

Tranny kit $45.

Oil filter $2.

Fluids tranny, coolant %26amp; oil $60.



So parts $137.

and at my shop you would have paid about $125 for all of that.