Monday, October 24, 2011

How do I balance the radiators in a old pushed hot water system?

I live in an older house (80+ years old) with pushed hot water radiant heat. In the upstairs, two of the rooms and the bathroom are much hotter than the last two rooms. They all have adjustable valves on them, but my landlord said these will only shut off the entire system, not change the flow to each radiator. I think he's full of crap. Does anyone have experience with radiant heat systems and know how the balancing process works or what I could do to get more hot water through the last two rooms. These two rooms are the last on the system too, but the water level has been checked and is full.



I will haunt you if you leave one word, useless answers. THANKS!How do I balance the radiators in a old pushed hot water system?I'm having the same problem in my house - I have a maint contact with the heating company, and they're coming next Wednesday - send me with your email address and I'll try and explain how they do it for me - couldn't figure it out on my own - I adjusted the little key steam valves at the top (kept them open while I heard hissing) and the round handle valves at the bottom, but I'm getting nothing in 2 of my 2nd floor rooms - they worked fine last springHow do I balance the radiators in a old pushed hot water system?on that type of system the radiators like u say have adjustable valves which over time fail. some times ppl change these valves and they have no experience in adjusting them trust me i know i grew up in a house with steam heat which is similar in the adjustments of valves. here it is simple an plane. the closer the radiator is to the thermostat more that valve is closer to being closed. why? if u have a radiator that's close to the thermostat with the adjustable valve open the faster that radiator gets hot then the thermostat sends signal to boiler%26quot;shut off ur done%26quot; do this logic in reverse an u have the full story. rooms further away from the thermostat with radiators with the valve closed never heat up. i hope this helps you
  • server
  • xp
  •