Monday, October 24, 2011

How to Bypass 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Heater Core?

The heater core is leaking on the passenger side of the cabin. How hard is it to do a bypass? How is is it done? Step-by step method. I am a change oil and filter guy and not a mechanic.

The radiator shop wants $500 to replace the heater core. I would like to keep the Jeep for pulling a pop-up camper.How to Bypass 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Heater Core?Well, 500 bucks to change the heater core is not too bad, considering the entire dashboard has to be removed to get to it.

Anyhow, it's real simple to bypass the heater. You can't block the flow - it has to always be circulating. Just cut the 2 hoses entering and exiting the firewall with a utility knife and connect them together with a coupler and clamps.

Before you bypass the heater, check that the problem isn't with one of those connections at the firewall. I had leaking antifreeze coming into the passenger side and the shop told me the core was bad and wanted 700-800 to replace it. I decided to do it myself. Bought a core for 79.00. Then started taking things apart. I noticed that one of the hose clamps was loose and was squirting water into the core when the engine ran. Put a new clamp on it and no more leak!
  • removing contact lenses
  • how to format drive
  •