Monday, October 24, 2011

I just found out my car has problems with the radiator and transmission fluid. can u help me?

I went to jiffy lube today to get an oil change. they checked all of my fluids and the guy told me my radiator's about toast. He couldn't get any coolant from the radiator cap OR the overflow tank and in the bottom was brown muck that looked remarkably like mud. as for my transmission fluid, IT WAS BLACK! what can i do and how? (provide details)I just found out my car has problems with the radiator and transmission fluid. can u help me?If you are going to Jiffy Lube I assume you typically don't work on your own vehicle(s). Either way, regarding the engine cooling system obviously as you see it needs to be flushed. I really wouldn't recommend doing this job yourself. Not because it is difficult but because it is messy and best done with a power flush machine to be thorough. So if you agree, given the severity of the condition I would have a mechanic power flush the cooling system and check it for leaks. Power flushing can present leaks that would otherwise be stopped with that mud and scale in your radiator now. Make sure they wash out the overflow bottle also. I have seen customers come back to the shop because debris that was missed discolored the coolant. Letting someone do this service for you keeps you clean and gets you back on the road with a service warranty too. Extended life coolant (colored other than green) can last 100k miles if it isn't contaminated. After this service I would plan to check and possibly change your coolant every 24 to 30k miles. Otherwise you may be looking at accelerated breakdown of system components like water pump bearings, hoses and other plumbing, heater core, etc...Particularly considering the current condition.



Assuming when you say “fluid” the transmission or transaxle is an automatic. Regarding the %26quot;black%26quot; transmission fluid or oil, black particulate is clutch friction material (paper) as opposed to shiny particulate (metals). Both are normal within limits but may, or may not be indicative of a problem. Unless you are feeling slip, experiencing shuddering, or hearing clunking noises from the powertrain or specifically the transmission I would just service the transmission if you haven’t already. A full service mechanic as opposed to a Jiffy Lube technician is more likely to be able to tell you the condition of the transmission based on the debris in the bottom of the pan. It would depend on the experience of the Jiffy Lube technician though. They provide services not a diagnosis or repair solution. The fluid and filter (if serviceable) should be replaced roughly every 12k miles. Check your owner’s manual though.I just found out my car has problems with the radiator and transmission fluid. can u help me?sounds like your mixing the anti-freeze with the transmission fluid.you need to change the radiator and change the transmission fluid and filter.